- Lotevan 5/160, Reduce Blood Pressure, Prevent Hypertension Complication - 30 Tablets
- Amlodipine 5 Mg + Valsartan 160 Mg
CATEGORY OF LOTEVAN 5/160 TABLETS
- Anti-Hypertensive Drugs
MECHANISM OF ACTION OF VALSARTAN & AMLODIPINE
- Valsartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB). It works by blocking a substance in the body that causes blood vessels to constrict.
- As a result, Valsartan relaxes the blood vessels. This lowers blood pressure and increases the supply of blood and oxygen to the heart.
- Amlodipine inhibits calcium ion influx across cell membranes, with a greater effect on vascular smooth muscle cells. This causes vasodilation and a reduction in peripheral vascular resistance, thus lowering blood pressure.
THERAPEUTIC INDICATIONS OF LOTEVAN 5/160 TABLETS
- Treating high blood pressure (hypertension) in adult patients when monotherapy with amlodipine or valsartan is not sufficient.
- High blood pressure is a common condition in which the long-term force of the blood against your artery walls is high enough that it may eventually cause health problems, such as heart disease.
- Lowering blood pressure reduces the risk of fatal and nonfatal cardiovascular events, primarily strokes and myocardial infarctions.
METHOD OF ADMINISTRATION OF LOTEVAN 5/160 TABLETS
- Always take this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- The tablets should be swallowed whole with a glass of water.
- You should try to take your daily dose at about the same time each day.
- You must continue to take the drug until your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Do not break the tablet in half
- You can take the tablet with or without food.
- When used as initial therapy: Initiate with 5/160 mg, then titrate upwards as necessary to a maximum of 10/320 mg once daily
- Majority of effects obtained within 2 weeks
- Doses may be changed in special conditions so always follow your doctor's or pharmacist's instructions.
- If you take more than you should, talk to a doctor or go to the hospital straight away.
- If you forget to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember it unless it is nearly time for your next dose.
- Do not take a double dose (two doses at the same time) to make up for the forgotten dose.
UNDESIRABLE SIDE EFFECTS OF LOTEVAN 5/160 TABLETS
- Upper respiratory tract infection
PREGNANCY & BREASTFEEDING PRECAUTIONS WHILE TAKING LOTEVAN 5/160 TABLETS
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
NON-PHARMACOLOGICAL TREATMENTS & ADVICE TO REDUCE BLOOD PRESSURE
- To measure blood pressure correctly:
- Don’t eat or drink anything 30 minutes before you take your blood pressure.
- Empty your bladder before your reading.
- Sit in a comfortable chair with your back supported for at least 5 minutes before your reading.
- Put both feet flat on the ground and keep your legs uncrossed.
- Rest your arm with the cuff on a table at chest height.
- Make sure the blood pressure cuff is snug but not too tight. The cuff should be against your bare skin, not over clothing.
- Do not talk while your blood pressure is being measured.
- You will also find the following Non-Pharmacological treatments effective in blood pressure reduction:
- Lose extra pounds and watch your waistline
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a healthy diet
- Reduce sodium in your diet
- Quit smoking
- Reduce caffeine
- Reduce your stress
- Monitor your blood pressure at home using for example Beurer, Blood Pressure Monitor or Omron Blood Pressure Measuring Device
- See your doctor regularly
WARNINGS & SPECIAL PRECAUTIONS WHILE TAKING LOTEVAN 5/160 TABLETS
- Hypotension: Correct volume depletion before initiation
- Monitor renal function and potassium in susceptible patients
- If simvastatin is coadministered with amlodipine, do not exceed doses greater than 20 mg daily of simvastatin
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug (NSAID) use may lead to increased risk of renal impairment and loss of antihypertensive effect
- Do not coadminister with aliskiren in patients with diabetes
- Co-administration with Lithium: Increases in serum lithium level and lithium toxicity
STORAGE CONDITIONS OF LOTEVAN 5/160 TABLETS
- Store below 25°c
- Don’t refrigerate
- Keep this medicine out of the sight and reach of children.
- Store in the original package to protect from moisture.
- Do not use this medicine after the expiry date which is stated on the box/blisters/label. The expiry date refers to the last day of the month.
- Normal: Blood pressure numbers of less than 120/80 mm Hg
- Elevated: is when readings consistently range from 120-129 systolic and less than 80 mm Hg diastolic.
- Hypertension Stage 1: is when blood pressure consistently ranges from 130-139 systolic or 80-89 mm Hg diastolic.
- Hypertension Stage 2: is when blood pressure consistently ranges at 140/90 mm Hg or higher.
- Hypertensive crisis: This stage of high blood pressure requires medical attention. If your blood pressure readings suddenly exceed 180/120 mm Hg, wait five minutes and then test your blood pressure again. If your readings are still unusually high, contact your doctor immediately. You could be experiencing a hypertensive crisis.